Kenya, one in every of Africa’s most vibrant democracies, votes on Tuesday. Right here’s what you’ll want to know concerning the events, leaders and key election points.
Nairobi, Kenya – On August 9, Kenyans are heading to the polls to select the nation’s fifth president in what pundits say will probably be a hotly contested election.
4 candidates are competing for the nation’s high place. William Ruto, having served two phrases as deputy president within the present authorities, is raring to succeed his present boss, who he’s feuding with.
Raila Odinga, who has unsuccessfully contested the presidency 4 occasions earlier than, is his essential challenger. He has the backing of the outgoing president, Uhuru Kenyatta, his former foe. Two different candidates, George Wajackoyah and David Mwaure, full the listing.
Moreover the presidential election, folks can even go to the polls to vote in governors, Members of the Nationwide Meeting, senators and Members of the County Meeting.
Twelve folks will probably be nominated to the Nationwide Meeting, in keeping with the structure, to symbolize particular curiosity teams together with folks with disabilities, youths and staff.
How do folks vote?
Voting is finished electronically within the second such election after a historical past of handbook failures.
- Resulting from technological failures within the 2017 polls that led to the Supreme Court docket calling for a rerun of the presidential contest, there’s a handbook voters’ register that’s often sealed till wanted however saved within the polling stations.
- After voting, the ballots are counted and outcomes kinds crammed, then taken to the constituency tallying centres the place outcomes are collated and introduced, earlier than being taken to the county and nationwide tallying centres.
- In response to Justus Nyng’aya, an Impartial Electoral and Boundaries Fee (IECB) commissioner, the physique will transmit outcomes through a public portal “as a picture, not textual content”.
To be declared winner in Kenya’s winner-takes-all electoral system, a presidential candidate has to obtain greater than half of all of the votes forged within the election; and no less than 25 % of the votes forged in every of no less than half of the counties.
In response to the structure, if no candidate is elected, a brand new election must be held inside 30 days after the earlier one.
- Solely candidates who acquired the very best and second highest votes tally are eligible to contest a brand new election.
- The candidate who receives essentially the most votes within the new election shall be declared elected as president.
- A presidential election shall be cancelled and a brand new election held if a candidate for president or deputy president dies on or earlier than the scheduled election date; or the president-elect dies earlier than being declared elected.
IEBC chairperson Wafula Chebukati has stated the fee is printing 22,120,458 poll papers – the precise variety of registered voters.
In Kenya, as in lots of components of Africa, ideology politics usually are not the order of the day. Residents are extra inclined to attend for good governance and people-oriented initiatives, no matter whether or not it comes from a socialist or capitalist authorities.
- Additionally, for a lot of politicians, energy is the final word aim so their ideologies are malleable they usually usually change get together allegiances or create them. Consequently, personalities drive politics on the continent, not events.
- Raila Odinga, a longtime centre leftist who’s famously recognized for campaigning for multi-party politics in Kenya, was a long-term foe of the present president, however is now the institution candidate and barely proper of centre.
- Deputy President William Ruto is campaigning as an outsider in a centrist authorities and has adopted a comparatively right-wing strategy, together with his populist Kenya Kwanza (Kenya First) motion as a marketing campaign car.
- On the acute left of the spectrum is George Wajackoyah, a professor who desires to legalise marijuana, impose four-day working weeks and dangle these convicted of corruption.
- To the acute proper is conservative clergyman David Mwaure, who completes the listing.