Fourth listening to of the month will scrutinise Donald Trump’s push to get native election officers to reject 2020 outcomes.
- The committee investigating the January 6, 2021 assault on the US Capitol continues to concentrate on former President Donald Trump.
- Trump has rejected the committee’s findings, calling the hearings a “theatrical manufacturing of partisan political fiction”.
- Tuesday’s listening to will function native election officers who’re anticipated to testify that Trump’s staff pressured them to reject the election outcomes.
- The earlier listening to examined Trump’s stress marketing campaign on his vp, Mike Pence, to overturn the 2020 elections.
Listed here are all the most recent updates:
State officers to testify
The listening to on Tuesday will function election officers and legislators from two key swing states that Trump had falsely claimed he received in 2020.
Witnesses embrace Arizona Home Speaker Rusty Bowers; Brad Raffensperger, Georgia secretary of state; Gabriel Sterling, Georgia secretary of state chief working officer; and Wandrea ArShaye “Shaye” Moss, a former Georgia election employee.
Witnesses for Tuesday’s listening to ⤵️
• Rusty Bowers, Arizona Home Speaker
• Brad Raffensperger, Georgia Secretary of State
• Gabriel Sterling, Georgia Secretary of State Chief Working Officer
• Wandrea ArShaye “Shaye” Moss, former Georgia election employee
— January sixth Committee (@January6thCmte) June 20, 2022
Listening to will concentrate on Trump’s stress on state election officers
Tuesday’s listening to will study Trump’s stress on state election officers to overturn the 2020 election. That marketing campaign by the previous president had focused bureaucrats overseeing the elections in key swing states, lots of whom had been Republican.
“President Trump and his allies drove a stress marketing campaign primarily based on lies, and these lies led to threats that put state and native officers and their households in danger,” the Reuters information company quoted a committee aide as saying.
Trump rebukes Jan 6 panel – once more
Trump, who had beforehand dismissed the January 6 congressional panel as “treasonous” and referred to as the hearings a “kangaroo court docket”, has continued his verbal assaults on the committee.
“Let’s be clear, this isn’t a congressional investigation, this horrible state of affairs that’s losing everybody’s time. It is a theatrical manufacturing of partisan political fiction. That’s getting these horrible, horrible rankings and so they’re going loopy,” Trump instructed an viewers in Nashville, Tennessee on Friday.
Key takeaways from final listening to
The final listening to on June 16 examined how Trump and a few of his aides pushed then-Vice President Mike Pence to overturn President Joe Biden’s election victory.
The committee heard from witnesses, together with Pence confidants, how Trump wished his vp to make use of his ceremonial function of counting electoral votes from the states to reject the 2020 election outcomes.
Authorized consultants, together with a former conservative federal decide, argued that such a transfer would have been unconstitutional and posed a menace to US democracy.
Learn the important thing takeaways from that listening to right here.
Welcome to Al Jazeera’s dwell protection of a United States congressional committee’s public listening to on its inquiry into the January 6, 2021 US Capitol riot.