Russia targets the principle airport in Ukraine’s key Black Sea port of Odesa, a metropolis to date comparatively unscathed within the conflict.
- Russia has carried out missile assaults throughout southern and jap Ukraine, together with one which destroyed the runway at Odesa airport.
- A gaggle of 20 civilians have left the Azovstal steelworks, the place the final Ukrainian troops are holed up in Mariupol, in accordance with the Azov regiment.
- A Russian reconnaissance aircraft briefly violated Sweden’s airspace, Swedish defence officers mentioned.
- A Russian official instructed state media that the dangers of nuclear conflict ought to be stored to a minimal amid battle in Ukraine.
- Fourteen Ukrainians together with a pregnant soldier have been freed within the newest prisoner trade with Russian forces, Ukraine says, with out revealing the variety of Russians returned to Moscow.
Listed here are the most recent updates:
Russian army aircraft briefly violates Swedish airspace
A Russian reconnaissance aircraft briefly violated Sweden’s airspace, say Swedish defence officers, because the Scandinavian nation ponders a bid for NATO membership after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
“A Russian AN-30 propeller aircraft violated Swedish airspace on Friday night,” the Swedish defence ministry mentioned in an announcement on Saturday night, including that its groups had adopted the incident and photographed it.
The ministry mentioned the aircraft was flying east of Bornholm, a Danish island within the Baltic, earlier than it headed in the direction of Swedish territory.
“It’s completely unacceptable to violate Swedish airspace,” public tv SVT quoted Defence Minister Peter Hultqvist as saying.
20 civilians go away Mariupol’s Azovstal web site: Ukraine regiment
A gaggle of 20 civilians have left the Azovstal steelworks, the place the final Ukrainian troops are holed up within the Black Sea port of Mariupol, in accordance with the Azov regiment.
“Twenty civilians, girls and youngsters … have been transferred to an appropriate place and we hope that they are going to be evacuated to Zaporizhzhia, on territory managed by Ukraine,” mentioned Sviatoslav Palamar, the Azov regiment’s deputy commander.
Earlier on Saturday, a correspondent from Russia’s TASS information company reported from the town that 25 civilians – together with six kids youthful than 14 – had left the location.
Russian rocket assault destroys Odesa runway
A Russian missile assault destroyed an airport runway in Odesa, Ukraine’s third-largest metropolis and a key Black Sea port, the Ukrainian military mentioned.
In a Telegram put up, Ukraine’s Operational Command South mentioned there was no manner that the Odesa runway could possibly be used on account of the missile assault.
Native authorities urged residents of the world to shelter in place as Ukrainian information company UNIAN, citing military sources, reported that “a number of” explosions have been heard in Odesa.
Odesa’s regional governor mentioned that the missile was fired from Russian-occupied Crimea. Maksym Marchenko mentioned there have been no reviews of any accidents.
Welcome to Al Jazeera’s persevering with protection of the conflict in Ukraine.
Learn the updates from Saturday, April 30 right here.